vQmod is an override system designed to avoid having to change core files. Instead of making changes to the core files directly, the changes are created as xml search/replace script files. By not modifying the core files, you won’t have to worry about overwriting these changes when you do an update of Opencart. The downside of course is that the VQMOD files are designed to work with certain versions of Opencart, so when you upgrade there is still the risk of incompatibilities.
Tutorial : Installing and Creating an Opencart vQmod Script
How to Install vQmod on OpenCart
- Download the latest version that has “opencart” in the title from. [Download]
- Using FTP, upload the “vqmod” folder from the zip to the root of your opencart store.
- Be sure the vqmod folder and the vqmod/vqcache folders are writable (either 755 or 777).
- Goto http://www.yoursite.com/vqmod/install
- You should get a success message. If not, check permissions above and try again
- Load your store homepage and verify it works
- Using FTP, verify that there are new “vq” files in the “vqmod/vqcache” folder.
- If yes, then you are ready to start downloading or creating vQmod scripts, otherwise ask for assistance.
- DO NOT DELETE THE INSTALL FOLDER!
- YOU MUST RUN THE INSTALLER EVERY TIME YOU UPGRADE OPENCART!!
- THERE IS NO DANGER OF RE-RUNNING THE INSTALLER!
[Video] – Installing vQmod OpenCart Extension
How to Create vQmod Scripts
Best Opencart Extensions / Modules for vQmod
vQmod Manager – Fully Manage vQmod Scripts from Opencart Admin
VQMod Manager (VQMM) allows users to centrally manage VQMod scripts for use in OpenCart. Features include:
- Display of VQMod file information such as file name, description, author, version, required VQMod version, and status
- Upload new VQMod scripts or delete old ones
- Checks that VQMod scripts have valid XML
- Install and uninstall existing VQMod scripts
- Backup VQMod scripts
- See which files exist in VQMod Cache and clear them
- View and clear the VQMod error log
- Download vqcache and error log files for troubleshooting
- Check that VQMod is installed correctly
- Fully portable extension module – makes no changes to system files
vQmod Generator, Editor and Log Viewer
A developer tool for creating, editing and testing vQmod files.